Monday, June 9, 2008

Thinking about summer. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm a musician. Everyday is a Saturday.

So the fact that summer is here doesn't necessarily bring me to tears of joy. It used to, yes, but now its just the time where its unbearably hot and humid. The best thing about summer to me is that we are on the road more than any other time of the year. I leave in less than a week and will be more or less till August. That is the best part of summer.

Here are a few reasons why summer is not my flava fav:
1. not really a fan of the beach (no that's not blasphemy as some would say). I just like the mountains. If I had a beach house I would dig the beach. A place where I could wake up, drink coffee over the sunrise then sit around and read to watch the sunset. But I do not. I don't like sitting on a beach getting absolutely cooked by the sun and then being covered in sand for the rest of the day. But thats just me.
2. two words: Southern heat. Summer in the south is a lot different from many other places. I think people don't get it when we talk of humidity. I mean its thick out there. Thick and wet. Showering in the morning is pointless, because you will sweat the moment you walk out the door. "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door" (Bilbo baggins - Lord of the Rings) Thats exactly how I feel. 
3. I like wearing jeans and boots. It's just my thing. When's its 100 degrees outside, its just not fun. 
4. Adventures are hard to come by in the summer, because its just too hot.
5. The only time to do things is from 8am-10am and then from 7pm-whenever. Given that I get up at 10, half of the outdoor day is gone.

Sorry to rant and I apologize if I've offended any "Just living for the summer" types. I will gladly read your thoughts on winter. 

I've listened to nothing but Coldplay this past week or so. Through ways I won't utter, I got the album early. It is absolutely amazing. It's perfect. Buy it the day it comes out and listen to the whole thing, start to finish a few times. It may change your life, for it changed mine. They are making history. The last track is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever listened to. 

Summer tour starts on SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!! take me there. Now.


No comments: