Monday, June 16, 2008

Bigger.

God is much larger than the parameters in which I place Him. 

This week is the start of the summer for me. The band is playing a string of camps, and I'll be on the road until the end of July basically. I'm finding the wider I can keep my eyes upon God the better. The moment I try to place boundaries, even ones that aren't necessarily bad, they are always broken to pieces by his power and sovereignty. I'm finding that even language has its extreme limitations. The words which are placed in books about God, the lyrics of songs written for God, the words of the messages and sermons about God still fall short linguistically describing God's greatness and glory. A God that is truly as big and as powerful as our God is will never be adequately described. 

I think one of the aspects of God's character that is simply impossible for my small brain to fathom is infinite. Every aspect of God's nature is endless and limitless. How can this be? How is this possible? One of the reasons it's so impossible to understand is that it doesn't exist anywhere else. Everything on earth depends on something else for its existence or it fades to nothing. God is infinite in that he depends on nothing else to exist. His love is infinite in that it goes to unthinkable and painful lengths to bring us into communion with Him. 

And I find that anytime I'm following a God I've placed inside of a box, he breaks out in a way that proves that he is so much bigger than anything I could ever imagine. 

All of this came to me tonight during the worship service. We were playing Amazing God I believe, which is song that is very dear to my heart and the Lord always uses it to speak to me. But I thought about the title. The word amazing and its many uses. I use the word amazing to say "Wow this cake is amazing" or "You are wearing cowboy boots. That's amazing", etc. When I get to heaven, I hope there is a complete set of words, phrases, sounds that can ONLY be used to describe the Lord. That can't exist here because we would tarnish the beauty of that hidden language, but I long to call upon God with words that only could be used in the context of describing the Almighty. 

"Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few." Ecclesiastes 5:2

I think being a God-praiser should define one's life, but when we come before the Lord, I believe that should start with reverent silence. We must come to Him as a friend, but also remember He is the Lord and Creator of the universe and should be treated and spoken to accordingly. A music teacher of a friend of mine use to start all the rehearsals by saying, "Music begins with silence". I think the same applies to our present ourselves to God. Give him room to talk. Give him the silence of our hearts to say what He needs to say. Odds are, it's more important.  

No comments: