Monday, March 24, 2008

Art. Its beauty and its confusion.

I've been reading the same book for 2 months. And by that I mean I've read it many times. It's a little gem called "Unceasing Worship" and its by Harold Best. Go and buy it and read it now. It's one of those books I read and it feels like the author is writing directly to me. It is as if the he's writing with me in mind. It deals with the topic of its title (worship) but it talks about it in a different way. I've read a lot of books on worship, and most of them cling to formulas, suggestions and order. To me, worship doesn't fit into those forms. If the concept of worship is anything like the One it is directed to then it is wild, free, unpredictable, and seemingly chaotic all while giving balance, peace, compassion and love. Most worship books are quite boring (sorry), but this one grabbed me from the first line.

One of the biggest things I'm learning to deal with is this: For some reason, we as artists feel that our art is a better form of worship than others. This is absolutely loathsome and it sickens me to look back on my life and see that I've actually fallen for this lie. Music looks the same to God as a nurse performing their duties with God in mind, a pastor preaching, or an accountant filing tax returns to the glory of God. But it is interesting to see how the Church itself has placed music as a higher form of worship. Look at the many conflicts and splits in churches that begin with debate of the style of music that is played in church. While I wholeheartedly believe that music is a special form art that is capable of expressing emotion in a unique and powerful way, it is NOT more important than anything else. Even still, making art should not be distinguishable from worshiping Jesus.

"There is no theological escape hatch for the call to excellence". Oh man does that need to be heard in Christian music today. Creativity demands newness. The limits must be stretched and tested. There is always somewhere else to go on the road of music and/or art, some turn or twist. We must not allow ourselves to settle. What good would God's gifts be if we reached a point of satisfaction and settled in contentment? It would be a complete waste of a gift and a slap in the face of the Lord. Because I am making music for the Lord, I am challenged to do everything as beautifully and skillfully as possible. I will say that we have humanly limits, but that fact should be in the back of our minds as we pursue beauty and excellence in using our gifts in worship.

"Worship is the continuous outpouring of all that I am, all that I do, all that I can ever become in light of a chosen or choosing god". You simply have to read his explanation of his definition of worship. The man is extremely intelligent and biblically sound. Please check it out.


In all of this I'm trying so desperately not to fall into Satan's trap of worshiping worship, if that makes sense. It's easy to fall into, but idolatry all the same. (Deut 12:4!)

One of my most favorite passages about worship is one not about singing, dancing, or playing instruments. Its about the heart and it is Ps. 139:23-24. Let the Spirit of God reign supreme in my life, that I may flee from all the wickedness of the world and my flesh so that all that I am and all that I do is a act of continuous outpouring to my Creator and my True Love. When I fall face down yet still have my eyes fixed on the cross, that is worship. May I spend my days in a constant state of reverence and that my heart would honestly seek the Lord in spirit and in truth.

"Almighty God, to you all hearts are open, all desires known and from You no secrets are hid. Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, that we may worthily magnify your Holy name through Christ our Lord. Amen"

Music from today:
Sheryl Crow
Bach
Peter Bradley Adams
Emerson Hart
Coldplay

No comments: