Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Goodwill Treats.

I've always been an avid fan of the phenomenal shopping locale known as the thrift store. My mom and grandma both sample the goods offered at these "specialty shops", as they prefer to call them. I check out my local Goodwills a few times a month at minimum. It's hit or miss, but when you hit it big, you hit it real big.

But I've recently indulged in the books and movies section. I used to ignore this area because my attention was focused on the t-shirts. Man. There are some really good finds in the "Media" section as I have affectionately titled it. Because of the recent finding of treasures, the media section is now my first stop on the used goods highway of Goodwill.

Some of the highlights:
Young Man Luther: A study in Psychoanalysis and History - Erik Erickson (very cool)
Jesus: A Historians Review of the Gospels - Michael Grant (a little dense, but interesting)
Tales of Sherlock Holmes - S.A.C.D. (a "greatest hits". check it)
Marine Sniper - Charles Henderson (this one's just cool)
A Miracle to Proclaim - Fr. Ralph A. DiOrio (Catholic priest with the gift of healing. Interesting.)
Braveheart Soundtrack - James Horner (magnificent film score)
Phil Keaggy - Hymnsongs. (one of the greatest guitarists in the world. And he's a believer!)

Granted I've had some CD strikeouts. I guess that's what I get for buying music blind. But overall I would highly recommend that you scout the media section quite frequently. Be thrifty, its fun!

-Stew

No comments: