Friday, March 21, 2008

Half a world away.

So recently, the band has become Artist Associates with World Vision. I'm really excited to start working with them and to have the opportunity to help out kids from around the world while giving our audiences a chance to do something "outside of the box" in helping someone from around the world.

But, as I always do, I begin thinking about these kids. And I think about my childhood. I grew up in a solid, stable home. There wasn't ever a question of where the meals would come from. I didn't have to worry about clean water or whether I would be able to go to school. But I'll be honest in saying that tears sometimes well up when I look at the picture of Caio (the boy we are sponsoring) when I think about what he goes through and how his life will be vastly different from mine. I sincerely believe that World Vision can change his life and they will, but I begin to think, Why him? Why not me? I don't understand why I have the privilege to be raised in a rich country full of luxuries even for the low class. Why am I so special to deserve this life when I don't? I see the eyes of a beautiful child, but also the eyes who have seen pain and poverty.

Leads me to another rant. Don't get me wrong, I love America and everything our founding fathers stood for. (I think if they were alive today, the would be royally pissed at our government and how it is run, but thats neither here nor there.) But the typical American arrogance that rules our society scares me deeply. We honestly believe that we are the best country in the world. We believe we are better than everyone else, simply because we have freedom and luxuries. Why is it that the rich continue to get richer, while the poor become poorer? Regardless of how it comes to be that way, it seems many have no compassion for the poor. They're pawns in the worlds chess game. I don't think it's coincidence that Jesus hung out with the poor more than he hung out with the rich. Usually when he was with the rich, he was telling them to give to the poor anyway. Interesting. What can I actually do to fix the problem here? And I say "I" because I am as guilty as the next man. But I'm sick of sitting back and saying, "well it's just not going to happen. there will always be poor people and there will always be rich people. thats just how it is. there's nothing i can do" I think this is Christian heresy. Its absurd and offensive. It goes against everything we stand for. Sure, maybe the entire world may not be cured of this disease, but at least we can use our time and voice to help all that we can. It's our duty. We must love and have compassion for ALL.

The smiles of a child
Are felt half a world away
But I sit in my glory,
Stay in the lines of grey. 

Come closer still, luxury
Won't you stay for awhile
You are wanted and welcome
As comforts enter in single file.

I'll believe I deserve this
That I've earned this place.
Honorable and high I'll sit.
And forget that smiling face.

Fall on your face, you fool.


"Fill our hearts with your compassion as we hold to our confession"

Music:
Jars of Clay
U2
Hillsong United
Duffy
Delirious

No comments: